permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Plantings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Plantings
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:45:44 EDT

Good day all:)

In a message dated 8/18/02 7:33:18 PM, permed@nor.com.au writes:

<< Don't recommend introducing water hyacinth - can completely overtake the
surface and difficult to eradicate - floating water plants are rampant
and difficult to control - perhaps azolla.. >>

I had heard this too, and was reluctant to add another problem. Often many of
the solutions proposed sound good but may lead to problems like invasiveness.

I'm not familiar with "azolla". What is scientific name? Any other
suggestions about the pond. I take it you are not concerned about the quality
or the color of the surface water pond used by cattle. I fear as they
continue to use/pollute it that there could be possible health problems with
the beef cows. Or are their systems able to handle such.

Any advice as to plants to hold banks on this heavy clay soil that was
excavated in building pond. There is little top soil.

I know there are frogs, toads , etc., and I do see a blue heron at times of
day when cattle, dogs are not nearby. So there must be something positive
happening.

I'd also like to stock this pond with fish for recreation. But am concerned
about water quality...successful introduction to pond. Appreciate the lists
comments. Thanks. Cheers. Frank

  • Re: [permaculture] Pond Plantings, FranksFarm, 08/20/2002