permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Re: Ref Buck rake? David and Ken

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: midwestpermaculture@yahoogroups.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [grazersedge] Re: Ref Buck rake? David and Ken
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:35:48 -0500

followup on silage

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:26:32 +0000
From: dick874 <sbevier@chatham.k12.nc.us>
Subject: [grazersedge] Re: Ref Buck rake? David and Ken
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

--- In grazersedge@y..., gminskisfarm@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 8/15/02 4:47:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> sbevier@c... writes:
>
> << On quality. Depends on when you cut it and how well you compact
> it. >>
>
> I've heard of this process but never knew anyone who actually did it, and
> could vouch for the quality. Everyone I ask insists that getting it at the
> right moisture level would be a problem plus it couldn't be done in the long
> stem. Could you please elaborate on your comment above.
> Thanks a whole lot-
> Ken

Sure thing Ken,
We mow when the clover(crimson) is in bloom but the grass still in
the boot and does not have a hard stem yet. This is a little later
than the experts say cut grass silage.
When you pile it try to avoid pockets of air, that is why someone
working the pile makes such a difference. They can tease ot the clumps.
also try to keep the sides vertical. you have to pack these by walking
up and down them as it is too dangerous to use the tractor. Another
benifit is you can make this while the weather is still cool so the
work is not bad at all. The kids love running up and down the pile as
it grows.
The moisture level does not seem to be a problem. It may be
because the forage is not chopped or conditioned. Also we build the
pile on bare ground so that helps.
We had one pile that we did not feed last year which i had planned
on spreading as compost but when we opened it it was still looking good
and the cows seemed to love it so it will deffinity keep if sealed and
weighted.
I had my doubts when we first tried it so i mowed one acre, turned
it with a side rake and piled it on a wagon and hauled itb to the
corner of the field to try it. When we opened it that winter iwas
impressed by two things the smell ( like saurkrut) and the fact that
the clover still had its leaves.
any other questions
take care

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now