permaculture - [permaculture] Re: seeking interview for DELICIOUS LIVING magazine

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Brian Lavendel <lavendel@nasw.org>, Permaculture Listserv <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Pc Envirolink <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: seeking interview for DELICIOUS LIVING magazine
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:15:19 -0400

Please reply to lavendel@nasw.org in addition to the list. thanks.

Hi Brian, et al,

Brian Lavendel wrote:

> Keith,
>
> I would like to ask you a few questions about the permaculture movement.
> I'd like to know about its growth and geographical range,

I am unaware of any data regarding the growth of Pc over the last 27+/- years
since
its appearance. I've heard that 100,000 people have taken the Pc Design
Course since
then. The course has been given in many countries around the world. At the Pc
Activist
site

(http://www.permacultureactivist.net/pcresources/PcResources2.htm)

there are contacts for Pc grads, teachers, etc. Africa for example has 10
countries
where Pc is active; Middle east - 1; Asia - 9; all 9 states in Australia; 26
countries
in Europe; most of the states in the US; 9 countries in central and south
America; and
about 4 other misc countries. Undoubtedly the numbers are higher, but I just
don't
know about them. I'm not certain to whom you should talk to get more info. I
wish I
had better figures to offer.

At the moment, Mississippi is the only state wherein we have no subscribers
(a total
of around 3500). Most of our subscribers are on the west and east coasts and
the
balance scattered throughout the remaining states, with another 100 residing
out of
the US.

> how it fits into developed vs developing countries.

Most contacts are in developed countries but students come from everywhere.

> Where it has "been" and where the movement is headed (in your opinion).

I urge you to await our upcoming Activist #49 with the theme: Where is
Permaculture?
Deadline September 15 (for publication Dec. 1, 2002). The "movement", you must
remember, has no centralized organizing bureacracy and is somewhat anarchic
and
independent. How do you measure something like that?

> Also, how is it practiced in the US in particular.

It is practiced according to a set of principles that are globally adopted,
but in no
circumstance will it be the same in each individual case. It all
depends....which is
the most common answer to any Permaculture question.

I will forward your inquiry to the Pc listservs and let the rest of us give
it a go.
You can reach me at 828-669-6336. The best time to call is between 9AM and
10AM, or
between 9PM and 11PM, weekdays.
Keith