permaculture - RE: [permaculture] flushing out

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] flushing out
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 00:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Yes, it would probably flush-out pretty quickly, but I think it would
> be preferable to try to remove the nasties before the water leaves
> the land, even if this did involve some earth /lavaworks:

I agree, in principle...and, if it is simply ripped lava with little or
no soil on top, the water leaves the land pretty directly downwards
through the rip zone and into the mostly ever-present cracks and
fissures and tubes and chambers and so on. It's a very porous place...
:-)

Plantings over the whole area would probably have best chance to uptake
some. There's far less chance (than most other situations I can think
of) that plantings on (for example) the lower boundaries of the
property will ever touch (to clean) any of the water that infiltrates
uphill of them.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA