permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Are there any material scientists out there?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Are there any material scientists out there?
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 02 15:18:17 -0000

> Elijah wrote
>I was collecting our household urine in a simply 5 gallon bucket, for
>distribution onto gardens, plants and compost piles. After I mentioned to
>a friend that we were having odor issues with the bucket, he warned me
>that urine + plastic = nasty stuff leaching out of the plastic, and doing
>bad things to my flora and fauna.
Hope you were diluting your urine - it's too strong to use undiluted on
the garden...
Plastics absorb odours so after time there would naturally be a smell. I
have a plastic bucket with sawdust for urinating and add a handful of
lime when it's renewed - that helps keep odours down. Haven't heard about
urine/plastic interactions but someone else might have info there.
Re-alternatives I wouldn't recommend you use an aluminium bucket either
as the acid in the urine would release aluminium - stainless steel would
be the preferred option

>Now, this guy is a good friend and a great permaculturist, but I want a
>second opinion. He's also derisive of the idea of using cut up tires in a
>raised-bed keyhole garden, "even though it's in the Design Manual". So,
>I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments on this - urine bucket ok?
>not? how about tires in the garden?
I know there's cadmium in tyres that will release under acidic conditions
- the theory I was given about making tyre gardens was that if there's
lots of humus and regular lime applications this shouldn't be a big
problem - I've been asked about this by a few people recently and would
like more info myself, especially researched info (not just anecdotal)
Robyn