permaculture - [permaculture] Are there any material scientists out there?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Elijah Smith" <elijah@hilobay.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Are there any material scientists out there?
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:25:25 -1000

I was collecting our household urine in a simply 5 gallon bucket, for distribution onto gardens, plants and compost piles.  After I mentioned to a friend that we were having odor issues with the bucket, he warned me that urine + plastic = nasty stuff leaching out of the plastic, and doing bad things to my flora and fauna.

Now, this guy is a good friend and a great permaculturist, but I want a second opinion.  He's also derisive of the idea of using cut up tires in a raised-bed keyhole garden, "even though it's in the Design Manual".  So, I'm wondering if anyone else has any comments on this - urine bucket ok? not?  how about tires in the garden?

 Thanks!
  Elijah