permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmen

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Imitating fire + tree shredding equipmen
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:57:46 -0700

I am not sure you are totally right about fire being introduced into
landscapes
by humans. Here in the Pacific Northwest huge forest fires caused by
lightning
have always swept this part of the continent . In fact, trees such as the
lodgepole pine have adapted to this cycle by developing cones that will ONLY
open in response to intense heat, such as from a forest fire. I don't know
about
other parts of the world, but why should they be so different? Where there's
lightning, there's fire.
Heide