permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thoughts on Mollison, and no attachment?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thoughts on Mollison, and no attachment?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:21:15 +0200

> but pc, if the discussion here
> is any indication, requires ongoing input from humans;

> points of the original story is that humanity can't go back to
that
> original garden, but is now required to work to earn our daily
bread.

everything gardens, and so do sane/natural humans. pc is about
designing life-support systems for humans - so of course it
requires the human output as system input, otherwise the humans
are not part of hte system, and naturally the system ceases to
produce for humans. paradies as i see it isnt about loafing and
opening your mouth for readymade food to fly in - this is called
schlaraffia afaik. paradise is the place, where my intrinsic and
natural output (this includes everything: need to move my body,
my wastes, desire to know and understand my surrounding, desire
to shape my surrounding according to my aesthetics and scale of
comfort, etc) are absorbed, and are sufficient to motivate the
system to make outputs that nicely fit my needs. if e.g. the
system is set up in a way that it cannot absorb my natural action
output, this turns into waste, either being outright destructive
("blind activism"), accumulating in the system in the form of all
sorts of artifacts (some suburbian lots are such accumulations of
pavements, concrete ponds, tiny castles, little walls, 3 tool
sheds, elaborate brick fencing, etc, clear signs of an active
diy-worker with no constructive place to put his weekend activity
to), or has to be taken care of (e.g. through sports).

so looking at it this way, paradise isnt any special place - the
difference is some design but mostly in our brains - do we
experience our "work" as something we naturally want to do
anyways, or is it a drag?

georg