permaculture - [permaculture] Thoughts on Mollison, and no attachment?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Donna Jones" <djones@kodiak.alaska.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Thoughts on Mollison, and no attachment?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:48:00 -0800

Mollison’s comments on Permaculture are marked by his constant use of the
word “evolve”, especially in reference to short time periods.
Interestingly, he has put forward a system of conscious design, which
requires a designer. There is a tremendous amount to learn from natural
systems (whatever your ontological base), but pc, if the discussion here
is any indication, requires ongoing input from humans; otherwise
ecosystems will revert or degrade from their best, or at least -
developed, uses.

I think he is something of a voice crying in the wilderness; there is a
lot of end-time fervor to his appeals to really get on with addressing the
whole shambles of modern agribusiness and lawn-mad suburbia. There is a
lot of talk about recreating gardens of Eden, too. However, one of the
points of the original story is that humanity can’t go back to that
original garden, but is now required to work to earn our daily bread.

Permaculture’s goals of using intelligent design to minimize drudgery and
address, on a large or small scale, the reinventing of sane living with
the fruitful earth are great. I’m glad that people have to be part of the
picture, too.

***

One other thing: the short course on Permaculture syllabus came out as
gibberish on my digest. Could we try that again, or could you email it to
me? Thanks.

Donna