permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Permaculture and nut sedge

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Permaculture and nut sedge
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:03:00 -0500

Sam Worley wrote:

> Hello, you don't know me but I ran across a posting of yours on the
web.
> You talk about the virtues of solarization, but does this work for nut

> sedge?

Yes, mostly, sometimes....

Quick links:
http://www.imok.ufl.edu/liv/groups/cultural/pests/solar.htm
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/mba/april98/solar.htm
http://www.nal.usda.gov/ttic/tektran/data/000009/33/0000093359.html

A practice employed in the southern U.S. -- where sweet potatoes
are adapted since they love hot weather -- is rotating sweet potatoes
vines into the vegetable sequence to control nutsedge on
commercial vegetable farms; thus a cultural practice is used to
control a noxious perennial weed. The vines of sweep potatoes
are vigorous and thereby function as a smother crop. Yet, in
addition, sweet potatoes are known to release allelochemicals
which specifically reduces nutsedge through an allelopathic
effect.

Quick links:
http://cnas.ucr.edu/~bps/hnutsedge.htm
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7432.html
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr/1997airc/103mcgiffen.pdf

Steve Diver

  • [permaculture] Re: Permaculture and nut sedge, Steve Diver, 04/12/2002