permaculture - [permaculture] Retail...and PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Retail...and PC
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:05:53 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

Toby's point about division of labor in publishing matches with what I
know...

> I feel I received money in proportion to my share of the work (well,
> maybe the retailer's share is a little large!).

Heh heh...I suspect that you have never been in retail business... ;-)
I can't speak for the big chains (bookstores or otherwise), but for the
"small operator" retail is hell, on average, purgatory at best...only
worse hell I know of is restaurant/food service...which is also a form
of retail. I've had family in both, worked for them a bit years ago,
and it is just hell trying to stay afloat in small/local retail even
though markups may seem huge, percentage-wise. Small-business-failure
stats seem to bear this out.

PC point to this post - given the above, "retail" as we know it is an
astoundingly resource-inefficient way to distribute goods. I'm sure a
PC-design analysis of the elements, systems and relations of "retail"
will bear this intuition of mine out...

=====
John Schinnerer, MA