permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Spiders.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "len organicpc" <gardenlen@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Spiders.....
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 05:57:50 +1000

g'day claude,

missed the original post on this thread, but i can't equate masses of common garden/house spiders to an imbalance, if it is then it has been created by human development.

apart from other spiders about all that eats them is birds, in my instance i welcomed the spiders to my garden and exterior of my home, they do me a service like trapping and eating all sorts of bugs, and the ground spider the ones that don't have web's eat the bigger bugs like cockroaches as the larger species of spider is usualy in this group.

i also found that by letting the 'harmless' type spiders build plenty of webs all around the house that this then minimised how many venomous spiders moved in, the 1 here in austrlia is the redback related to the black widow.

so for me masses of spiders are good.

len