permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nasturtium?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nasturtium?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:03:21 +0200

> I am not sure of which nasturtium do we speak when we
> want to have peppery leaves used for salads, and a compaion
plant for
> cucumbers

you are talking about tropaeolum, the one that also hast the
beautiful and delicious bright yellow, orange and red flowers
(great stuffed with some nutbutter or a piece of cheese).

> What is the difference between
> Nasturtium - Tropaeolum majus
> and
> water cress - Nasturtium officinale

well, they are 2 different plants, with tho only common feature
the peppery tast of the leaves - everything else is different.
most significant diff is propably, that watercress grows best
sumberged in (flowing) water - not sure that your cukes would
appreciated that. for more details of the differences please look
them both uip on http://www.pfaf.org

kind regards
georg