permaculture - Re: [permaculture] propagating elderberries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] propagating elderberries
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:56:57 -0800

At 10:13 PM 2/17/02 -0600, Robert Waldrop wrote:

A related aspect of this is what would a guild of elderberries look
like. Or where elderberries might fit into another guild, like the
fruit trees I'm planting.

I have a book on California native shrubs; it mentions that elderberry is often found in the company of Western redbud here, a tall (10-20') deciduous N-fixer shrub. I am currently trying that association out on my own property.

There is also an Eastern redbud. Redbud has lovely-colored flowers in the spring and colored leaves in the fall; it would make a nice ornamental and mulch-producing plant, as well as possible animal forage on the seed pods. I don't know what would eat redbud seed pods though.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.