permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Meagre Harvest of Yield

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: 1earth permaculture <permaculture1@start.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Meagre Harvest of Yield
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 8:16:01 +1000

I wrote:
>>... otherwise permaculture might just be an effective subsistance
farming method.

georg wrote:
>>to my understanding, this is what it originally was started for:
a method of designing subsitance life support systems.

That's an interesting definition of permaculture that I haven't seen
before. The Manual & Intro to PC books make no mention of subsistance
farming that I can find, and the only reference in our PDC was
explaining that permaculture is much more than a subsistance level
because of the broader community design elements and the alternative
economics.

To bring the first comment back into context, I expressed that more
work is needed in the economics area, particularly with yield "per
plant" rather than "per acre", etc, otherwise it becomes an inexact
science (waiting the comments on those 2 words! LOL) and subsistance
- ground to mouth.

Cheers, Marcus