permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: The meagre harvest of yield

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: The meagre harvest of yield
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:58:39 +0100

(snip)

I agree.

> So to wrap up this mass of verbiage, I think we're safe measuring things
> like yield if we keep in mind that we're using a very limited tool for
very
> limited purposes (like persuading the skeptical academic) and are missing

or persuading the sceptical donor agency - the word purpose is important
here. If we measure or model anything in a pc system, we do so to achieve a
well defined purpose, otherwise it does not make much sense.

> much of what's important. Trying to talk about what is important in a
> permaculture design seems like a way to develop an interesting new
language.

> > every time
> > I think I understand and reach out to grasp the solidity of the world,
the
> > more it flows through my hand like water.
>
> Very well put.

Exactly. I belive that generality and exactnes cannot be achieved at the
same time. If you try to understand a complex system exactly, you will end
up with tiny descriptions of subsystems that don't mean much. If you try to
grasp the whole, it becomes less exact.

Andreas