permaculture - Re: Food and politics...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Food and politics...
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:09:45 +0100

> Aloha,
>
> > Now, on which continent the people are crazier?
>
> Neither. Or both. To me it's a matter of different kinds of crazy,
> not relative craziness. The USA has absurd 'agricultural policies'
> too, though I think we are more inclined to pay farmers to *not* grow
> things... ;-~

Both, definitely. Or all three of them. There are actually some bizarre
things going on in Africa.

The problem is, you normally don't see the crazines in your own country or
culture, while the craziness of another culture sticks out to you.

A little bit off topic:

It is sometimes very refreshing to look at your own culture through the eys
of another.

I know a Cameroonian ethnologist (Flavien Ndonko) who has visited the
natives of Germany and done some research there. The Germans are a middle
European tribe with very strange customs. Flavien applied all his
ethnologicall gear especially to the topic of Germans and their dogs.

Just imagine, some of these strange people keep dogs in their appartments!
Some even share their bed with them and like them more than children. People
are talking to their dogs! They go around with their dogs tied to them with
a string. There are clubs of people with special brands of dogs, dog hair
dressers, dog doctors, dog graveyards. You can buy dog food and this is even
advertised on TV.

How bizarre, how bizarre.

If you tell this in Africa, people think you are kidding. Can't be. You are
joking with them. How can people be so crazy. Nobody believes this!

After he published his work, some people here startet realizing how bizarre
this dog stuff actually is. But nobody had noticed it before.

Andreas