permaculture - Re: Give me an example of PC that is working

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Give me an example of PC that is working
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:09:21 EST

Good day:)

So far I've stayed out of this interesting debate for fear that I had
little to offer:)

However...all this verbiage serves only to reinforce my belief that we need
to have successful models, incredible details on What does work where, and
why.

I can talk the talk...but when it comes to implementing many of the practices
PC embraces on a farm in the real world with cost, labor, time and materials
to be considered there's a real dearth of information IMHO.

Seems to me if PC is to continue to grow we need to empower people and not
worry about teaching certificates/design courses. We need to have the tools
to do the job well. PC to me requires incredible detailed knowledge that is
often difficult to assimilate and use on your place.

The example given by people who have designed such places is great. But the
details of how these places were carved out is again omitted. Do these folks
have web sites where one can study, and review their methods?

I really believe that many folks are empathetic, and inclined to go with PC
but are rebuffed by lack of detail, and mystification of the subject.

Further I tend to agree that we need to have numerical, quantifiable proof of
success. Even if it means we need to consider other factors to present an
holistic view of such numbers.

Please forgive the gross oversimplification. Frank