permaculture - Re: Water Ponding/Management

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Bonney" <sustainableearth.steve@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Water Ponding/Management
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:03:43 -0500

>We just dug some post holes after a heavy rain...and >was surprised to see
that the soil from just a few inches
>down was so dry.

Frank, this sounds like the same problem as my farm --
low infiltration rate. Managed intensive grazing is the best
method that I know for increasing this. Ideally, water should not be running
off in high volumes. Higher percentage of organic matter is the key to
better infiltration.

You can use a series of ponds, but you do not want
water flowing over the dams. Like John said, it will wash
away the dam. You could use overflow pipes or concrete spillways.

If water converges into a single gulley, you could divert
the water higher up. Typically a key line is identified as
the line where the land changes from convex to concave.
It is here that water tends to collect, therefore can be
diverted laterally by opening the soil with a key line plow
or subsoiler.

I am intercepting water before it hits the steep slopes of
my forested land. I am building swales and planting bald
cypress and basket willow in them to take up water and
transpire it.
Steve

Steve Bonney
Sustainable Earth
a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to the
development of sustainable family farming systems
and local food systems
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
(765) 463-9366