permaculture - Ethylene-oxygen cycle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ethylene-oxygen cycle
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:30:06 +1100

Aware that information about the ethylene-oxygen cycle taught in
permaculture courses dated from research carried out in the 1970s, I
contacted the CSIRO media people in Canberra who tracked down references for
me. I no longer have these, but locating them should not be a challenge for
those interested.

What I found was that there had been no research since the cycle first
attracted attention.

The implications of what Robyn said about the researcher are alarming - and
I have no reason to doubt what she has reported although I have encountered
an enormous number of rumours and conspiracy theories during my time in
journalism and in other work.

I am also aware that scientists carry grievances for slights such as being
turned down for research funding and so on and that this can influence what
they say to people. The question becomes how to discern what is likely true.

As for the cycle, I have found that students find it a very difficult
concept to comprehend. I have watched a number of experienced permaculture
teachers attempt to describe the permutations of the cycle.

...Russ Grayson