permaculture - Re: Straw man

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "S.K. Harrison" <skh23ca@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Straw man
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:36:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi Claude,

At the following link you will find a description
and an example of the strawman fallacy:

www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#strawman

Also on the same page you will find an intro to
logic, along with a couple dozen other informal
fallacies; however, I do not know if it provides
an exhaustive list.

To give some more context to the logic and
fallacies, you may like also to read a couple of
Mike Huben's little essays, one entitled Distrust
in Logic, at
world.std.com/~mhuben/skept/logic.html

and the second, Skepticism of Rationality, at
world.std.com/~mhuben/skept/rationality.html

Another much longer piece by Michael Sofka,
entitled Myths of Skepticism, can be found at
www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/talk/talk.html

I've given you a ton of material for such a gram
of a question, but I believe it appropriate for
the kind of discussion being waged.

Regards,
Sean