permaculture - Re: NUTRIGENOMICS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NUTRIGENOMICS
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:13:43 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Two things - one, it's a great new PR approach to promoting GMOs :-p
Two, notice (literally) the bottom line(s in the article) - it's a way
to create new premium-price markets markets markets and sell sell sell
more stuff stuff stuff.

For an already-existing bio-genetic approach to more holistic systemic
food choices than the typical one-size-fits-all approaches of
vegetarians, vegans, raw-fooders, etc., take a look at the
blood-type-based diet/lifestyle guidelines (Peter D'Adamo et. al.)
I've got the most recent book and am using it; so far so good for my
digestion, and here's the web site:

http://dadamo.com/

He is opposed to GMO foods and microwaved foods and favors organic
everything.

> NUTRIGENOMICS
>
> From:
> http://www.iftf.org/html/features/ncng_report.html
> http://www.iftf.org/
>
> New Consumer, New Genetics Publishes Full Report
> The Future of Nutrition: Consumers Engage with Science
>
> "The report, The Future of Nutrition: Consumers Engage with Science,
> published in June 2001, is the culmination of research conducted by
> the New Consumer, New Genetics (NCNG) program.
> The Future of Nutrition is an examination of how nutrigenomics--the
> study of the relationship between what we eat and how our genes
> function--will change our conception of food and will enable
> individuals
> by 2010 to choose foods selectively in order to prevent diseases to
> which they may be genetically predisposed. The possibilities for
> personalized diets using existing or new foods tailored to genetic
> profiles will ripple through the food, health care, biotech,
> pharmaceutical, agricultural, grocery manufacturing and retailing
> industries, with dramatic strategic implications. The report focuses
> on the ways that consumers can change diet-related behavior by
> responding to better information and includes in-depth
> analyses of the NCNG program's major national household
> survey and consumer focus groups. The market for
> nutrigenomics-based products and servicesby 2010 will
> encourage one third of consumers in the U.S. to be willing to
> pay more for their food products in order to enhance their health."

=====
John Schinnerer, MA