permaculture - Re: 1/2 OT Re: Alfred Korzybski ad nauseum

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 1/2 OT Re: Alfred Korzybski ad nauseum
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:57:06 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

Well, call it 1/2 OT if y'all wish.

> 1. The map is not the territory.
> 2. The map doesn't cover all the territory.
> 3. The map reflects the map maker.

Bingo, especially #3.

> I want to state here with vehemence that I reject
> the assumption that tradition has more value than
> modern forms of knowledge. On such a foundation
> rests the anti-human character of doctrines as
> diverse as rightwing social darwinism, Nazism,
> political correctness and institutional religion.

This appears to me to be a confusion of message with medium. There is
plenty of "positive" knowledge conveyed through "traditional" means,
and plenty of both that and of death and destruction (and just plain
muddleheadedness) conveyed thorugh modern means. As to the message
*of* the medium...opinions vary. ;-)

=====
John Schinnerer, MA