permaculture - Re: PC online DB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: PC online DB
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:37:05 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> What if they select a format that doesn't exist fo a record in the
> DB; then it would be back and forth selecting new ones until they
> got something. If done when the DB returns search results it would
> contain all formats available at that time for that particular
> record.

Good point. So here's a possible refinement - user selects returned
format by order of preference for a given query (or a whole session).
First, find record; then if first format choice exists, return that,
otherwise second, otherwise third, until one is found, for each record
found.

Probably best to have all these (return all formats, return only
desired format if exists, and prioritize formats to return) as user
options. I can easily think of scenarios where I'd want each of the
three more than the others.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA