permaculture - Re: anyone in Alaska?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: MABOYD5@aol.com
  • To: <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: anyone in Alaska?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:58:01 EST

Try linking with Martin Leonard, a kayaker who travels among indigenous
communities around the Arctic and took a solo journey paddling west to east
along the "inuit" (as opposed to the "northwest") passage. He noted many
aspects of the trip that he attributed to climate change. He has been on a
personal journey to recognize and document native ways of knowing about their
ecological basis for existence in polar areas, including "technological"
improvements to kayaks and other traditional ways of travel. I recently
found the diary of his Inuit Passage journey by doing a search that involved
his name, Bethel AK (where he lives and coordinates an internet access
organization for remote communities), and the word "qayaq". Sorry I don't
have the exact url on hand.
Good luck
Martha Boyd