permaculture - Re: Rose of sharon hips

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rose of sharon hips
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 01 15:48:17 -0000

>Hi, rose of sharon aren't roses but are actually related to hibiscus (and
>thus also okra and cotton, no?) Hibiscus is the source of "te de
>jamaica," which IS loaded with vit c. I don't know if the tea is usually
>produced from the petals or the fruits.
>MB
Hisbiscus tea is made from the calyx of the Rosella plant, Hibiscus
sabdariffa, an annual shrub native to West Africa - the young leaves are
great in salad & taste a bit like sorrel, they give a lovely tang to
pesto as well.
By the way the calyx is the fleshy leafy petals that form around the seed
pod after flowering - they also make one of the best jams.

Robyn

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au