permaculture - Re: Anna Edey-style Greenhouses (Solviva)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Naomi & Rick Coleman" <peds@tpg.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Anna Edey-style Greenhouses (Solviva)
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:58:56 +1000

We have a friend who constructed a greenhouse / chookhouse.

The dividing wall was made of reused 20L distilled water drums with screw on
black caps... he got them from his work at a bakery.

He filled every second drum with water for thermal mass. And the alternate
ones he left the cap off, cut away the side of the container to make a
nesting box and put a tube of black ag drain pipe (flexible 90mm) instead of
the screw cap. When the chickens slept in their at night, their warmth was
piped in to the greenhouse, as well as the thermal mass of the water which
served both the greenhouse and the chickens!

Very creative, worked well. The internal wall must have access to sun.

Hope that helps,

Naomi