permaculture - Re: "converting" indigenous people to pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "converting" indigenous people to pc
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:57:34 +0200

hi john:

> Forgot to mention...I think much of this strategy would be appropriate
> for the here-and-now "indigenous" population of any place on the
> planet...I use some of these strategies right here in Seattle...and in
> Hawai'i...

yep - however, i think it is easier for us to win peoples respect, whose
values and needs are far more down to earth and in accordance with the goals
of pc.

> 1) that if I am faking or "putting up with" anything to try and "fit
> in" and "win respect" it will not work (the "religious services" or
> equivalent cultural differences). So I suggest that one make sure one
> can immerse oneself and live the host culture with a clear heart and
> conscience before proceeding further.

totally agreed

> > it shouldnt be too difficult to get
> > them to understand (without saying so outloud), that if it succeeds
> > it is their merit, and in case it fails it was your screwup.
>
> I don't think this approach serves either party or the larger systems.

your reply makes me believe, that i didnt manage to get myself across on
this one. what i am trying to say, is that the honorary is not taking any
risk by supporting this project, because you are willing to take the
responsibility if it fails, but do not demand more of the merit than he is
willing to grant you. this is simple and straightforward politics, from
bonobos to congress. and in order to not make anyone loose his face (far
more important to a lot of non-westerners than to us), i would make this
clear without phrasing it out. of course, if he sends it back "do i
understand correctly, that you mean xyz" i would acknowledge. i didnt want
to hint at deceiptiveness but taktful negotiation.

if you did get me in the first part and/or still think that this approach
serves neither party nor the larger systems, please clearify in more detail.

> Some such people are already (still) doing PC without calling it that.
> I reckon there's a lot to learn from such people.

you are perfectly right - but unfortunately that does not always mean that
they regard it highly. often quite the opposite - cultural colonialism leads
to the young devaluing the ways of the old, and valuing highly things that
cost money and/or come from overseas. of course this is a generalization,
but only because they are now doing some things that we are aiming at, does
not mean that this is where they will be next year too. in many many places
you can literally watch it getting lost.

so i would not say that they are doing pc (regardless of what it is called),
but that they are practicing some techniques and/or strategies, that
definitely would have a place in a locally adapted pc. because if they would
be doing pc, things would become better rather than worse.

greetings
georg