permaculture - Re: "converting" indigenous people to pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "converting" indigenous people to pc
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:53:18 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha again,

Forgot to mention...I think much of this strategy would be appropriate
for the here-and-now "indigenous" population of any place on the
planet...I use some of these strategies right here in Seattle...and in
Hawai'i...

My reservations regarding your ideas, Georg, are:

1) that if I am faking or "putting up with" anything to try and "fit
in" and "win respect" it will not work (the "religious services" or
equivalent cultural differences). So I suggest that one make sure one
can immerse oneself and live the host culture with a clear heart and
conscience before proceeding further.

2) I would extend the clear heart and conscience to this part:

> it shouldnt be too difficult to get
> them to understand (without saying so outloud), that if it succeeds
> it is their merit, and in case it fails it was your screwup.

I don't think this approach serves either party or the larger systems.

cheers,

=====
John Schinnerer, MA