permaculture - Re: pc in Afghanistan

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: pc in Afghanistan
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 01 17:07:11 -0000

I haven't heard of any Pc in Afghanistan but it could certainly do with
some help especially with water harvesting - very dry climate with most
precipitation falling as snow in winter, hot dry summer. Great pistachio
country - I saw a 400 year old pistachio growing out of Jami Mashad's
grave (a famous sufi sage) near Herat when I was there in the late
1970's, and the biggest sweetest pomegranates I've ever seen. There were
purple carrots for sale in the market place.
White mulberries are a big traditional crop & dried as a dry fruit like
sultanas.
The fuel crisis was pretty bad back then - I had to buy firewood to heat
my hotel room - it was brought from Pakistan by camel train and sold by
the kilo.

Have wondered how one could get in contact Afghan refugees to see if
there are any interested in studying Pc while they're waiting for things
to settle down before returning home.

Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au