permaculture - ITHACA, NY, USA Sustainability listserv

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Burns <burns@panix.com>
  • To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG@lists.ifas.ufl.edu>, ecobalance@lists.gaia.orgl, permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: ITHACA, NY, USA Sustainability listserv
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 20:45:27 -0400

Sustainability Series spawns listserv: SustainableIthaca@topica.com

SUSTAINABLEITHACA@TOPICA.COM BEGINS

To all conference participants and like-minded folk,

Last week a good number of us were inspired by the "Steps to a
Sustainable Ithaca" presentation by Rob Young; and further inspired by
the small group brainstormin'/networking session that followed.

Our overlapping experiences, projects, ideas and dreams created quite a
bit of enthusiasm as we compared the outcomes of our small group
sessions and a few of us volunteered to continue with a few initiatives
to continue the networking and inspiration. I offered to start a
listserv for anyone with email access who could use this networking
tool.

I encourage everyone to sign on and contribute. If just once a year each
of us could send out to the list an introduction and description of our
projects or ideas we might find ourselves constantly reminded,
throughout the year, of all the great work being done in our area.
Likewise, we may find the many resources and contacts--that we had a
glimpse of last week--that are so crucial for building the critical mass
of Ithaca's sustainable community.

To subscribe, simply send an email to
SustainableIthaca-subscribe@topica.com and wait for an automated
response that will give further (easy) directions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again in "reality" and cyberspace...

en solidaridad,

Michael

P.S. COMING UP:

Wednesday Oct 10, 4-6 PM, One World Room, Anabel Taylor Hall,
Cornell. "Visions of Sustainability: From Farm and Forest to Downtown
Redevelopment" by John Barney, conservation planner at Cornell, and
David Kay, regional planner, Local Government Program at Cornell.
John and David will focus on our sense of place, on how our regional
land use patterns have changed, and on achievable visions for the
future that can serve the well being of both urban and rural areas
within Ithaca.

Thursday, Oct. 25, 12:10-1:05pm, Ithaca College, for room location
contact Tom Shevory (274-1347) shevory@ithaca.edu. "Teaching and
Practicing Sustainable Living." by Barbara Anderson, founder, Penn
State Center for Sustainability. This presentation is a good
introduction and complement to the more extensive evening program
below.

Thursday Oct 25, 7-9 PM, Unitarian Church of Ithaca (Buffalo and
Aurora Streets). "Partnerships for Sustainability: A Success Story
from Penn State and the Center County" by Barbara Anderson, founder,
Penn State Center for Sustainability. Barbara will share lessons from
her pioneering work at Penn State where she has applied simple
ecological principles to campus greening, university and community
partnerships for sustainability, and healthy lifestyle change. Small
group discussions to follow.

Thursday Nov 8, 7-9 PM, Women's Community Building (Seneca and
Cayuga Streets).
"Promoting Sustainability in Established and Planned Communities:
The Northside and EcoVillage Cases" by Liz Walker, director,
EcoVillage at Ithaca; Rob Champion, EcoVillage field supervisor for
second neighborhood construction; and Ken Reardon, neighborhood
planner and professor of city and regional planning at Cornell. Our
panelists will explore how "bottom-up" neighborhood envisioning and
organizing, building cooperative relationships, and taking a
long-term perspective can help reverse inner city decay and suburban
sprawl in our region.

Thursday, Nov. 15, 12:10-1:05pm, Ithaca College, for room location
contact Tom Shevory (274-1347) shevory@ithaca.edu "Sustainable
Agriculture and Living in Place," by Elizabeth Henderson, CSA farmer
and organic foods activist. This presentation is a good introduction
and complement to the more extensive evening program below.

Thursday Nov. 15, 4-6 PM, 401Warren Hall, Cornell. "Civic
Agriculture, Regional Diets, and Sustainable Living" by Tom Lyson,
mayor of Freeville, and professor of rural sociology at Cornell;
Jennifer Wilkins, senior extension associate in nutritional sciences
at Cornell; and Elizabeth Henderson, CSA farmer and organic foods
activist. Our panelists will explore local, sustainably oriented food
production and consumption options, and their link to creating a
healthy lifestyle, regional economy, and culture.

Wednesday Nov 28, 7-9 PM, Women's Community Building (Seneca and
Cayuga Streets). "Foundations of a Sustainable Economy: Small
Businesses Development, the Living Wage Campaign, Sustainable
Homebuilding, and Transportation Strategies" by Bill Myers, CEO,
Alternative Federal Credit Union; Sara Highland, Natural Builder's
Network; and Frances Vanek, Director, Sustainable Technology and
Energy Institute. Our panelists will explore cutting-edge
developments and creative options for building a sustainable local
economy through changes in our ways of doing work, homebuilding, and
transportation.

This series was made possible through major co-sponsorship from the
Cornell University Department of Rural Sociology, the Cornell Center
For The Environment, EcoVillage at Ithaca, the Student Sustainable
Agriculture Working Group, Ithaca College Department of Environmental
Studies, the Ithaca College Environmental Society, and the
Alternative Federal Credit Union, with support from the Sierra Club,
Citizen's Planning Alliance, Tompkins County Green Party, and the
Finger Lakes Land Trust.
For more information on these events and on the Community
Sustainability Project, see www.cfe.cornell.edu/community/or contact
Elan Shapiro at 607-275-0249, or e-mail
elansla@ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us

  • ITHACA, NY, USA Sustainability listserv, Michael Burns, 10/03/2001