permaculture - Re: Permaculture Institute outlines case for trademarking

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ian Lillington <ianl@internode.on.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture Institute outlines case for trademarking
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 22:03:43 +0930

Dear Russ

Thanks for outlining the arguments succinctly on the web-site.

I am not convinced by the Mollisons' case (as put by Nina). It sounds
reasonable at first, but doesn't ring true with the experiences of Robyn F,
Toby
H, Scott P etc.

I feel we can, and must, seek a win-win resolution - ie. permaculture
practitioners could agree to the trademarking, as a 'defensive' measure, but
the
'policing' of this 'ownership' could not rest solely in the hands of the
Institute. Rather, it would need to reflect a wider base of Permaculture
practitioners, and would need a more flexible approach to the curriculum
question.

It would be helpful if the Institute could be represented at the Nimbin
gathering in October - as it sems to me that only carefully facilitated
negotiations can bring about this 'win-win' situation.

Ian

Ian Lillington and Jo Middleton
Living Permaculture
at Willunga Garden Village