permaculture - Re: portable A-frame

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: portable A-frame
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:35:10 +1000

Hi Peta...

> From: Peta Hudson <petahud@ihug.co.nz>
> To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: portable A-frame
>
> Hi to everyone out there,
> I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to make a lightweight, portable
> A-frame for measuring contours? I seem to remember seeing one that
> looked as though it even folded up. Cheers Peta

I made a folding A-frame fro laying out contour plantings or contour ditches
(swales).

Materials:
- two wooden poles or pieces of squared timber approximately two metres in
length
- one piece of straight timber to form a horizontal beam
- three bolts with butterfly nut to join timbers
- one spirit (bubble) level about three centimetres long of the type used by
bricklayers; alternatively, a string with a heavy object attached to the
apex of the A-frame.

Construction:
- drill holes for the bolts at the apex of the two longer poles and at the
ends of the horizontal timber to attach it to the two long poles
- tie, tape or otherwise attach the spirit level to the horizontal timber
while holding the A-frame on a level surface.

The butterfly nuts are unscrewed, the bolts removed and the poles folded for
transport.

Hope this is of some use.

Russ Grayson