permaculture - Re: Herb Spiral pic posted up

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Herb Spiral pic posted up
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:36:08 +0100

Hi mIEKAL-

http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/uploads/pics/herbspiral2.jpg

In the centre of the spiral is a rosemary, moving down are a couple of thymes
(barely visible in the pic, which was taken a couple of months ago now, but
now
they are spreading all over the top, then an oregano (tiny in the pic, now
much
bigger), a lavender, some salad onions, bronze fennel, sorrel (on the east
side,
out of sight in the pic), Welsh onions (perennial), chives, tree onions (or
walking
onions as they are also known), chamomile (low growing so you can't see it), a
poppy which arrived by itself, more tree onions, ice plant, another perennial
onion
(forgotten what it's called- it's got rust in the pic and has since been
removed),
lemon balm (in the pot), another tree onion, mint (in the next pot- another
tree
onion also sneaked in!). At the bottom is a low growing spreading weed, we
arn't
sure what it is but it looks nice, we will be removing it and replacing it
with
pennyroyal, which has a similar creeping habit. marigolds are growing all
over the
place. In the pond is water mint and some other pond plants and oxygenators
which
we've taken from our main pond.

Since the pic was taken we've added lemon basil and sage. In the 2 months
since
then it has done really well, you can't see any bare soil at all now. as I
mentioned before, it isn't low maintainance- weeds need to be continually
removed
(the soil we used wasn't exactly sterile- it was a pile which had previously
been
sitting around just looking unsightly which had been removed after a paved
area had
been created elsewhere in the garden and in the hot weather takes alot of
watering
(though this should reduce as it becomes more established), however both of
these
activities are beneficial and therapuetic to our service users, and it's nice
have them concentrated in a small, compact space where you can see visible
results
after about 20 minutes work, rather than some of our larger beds. I'm not
sure if
the different microclimates thing works, though obviously the top stays
drier, it
all seems to get pretty full sun at different times of the day! Still who
cares, we
like it anyway, and it certainly yields a selection of herbs and saladings
which we
can add to our lunchtime sandwiches, even if not the entire centre (which
caters
for 130 people!!),

Cheers for now,

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue
Westcliff On Sea
Essex
SS0 7DS
NOW AVAILABLE; 'PERMACULTURE- A Beginner's Guide' £5.00 inc P&P
go to http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlib/flyer/ for info...

Land & Liberty http://www.landandliberty.co.uk
My artwork http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/landlibpic/
Our Garden http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/Garden/