permaculture - Re: (fwd) Translation resources for permac. related terms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: (fwd) Translation resources for permac. related terms
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:27:02 -0300

At first I used "swale" in Portuguese, as we use "mulch" in Portuguese. (My
students then called it "Samuel"...) Now we use " vala de infiltração"
(infiltration trenches...)

Marsha in Brazil
Pattern also does not exist in Portuguese ( in the way it is meant in PC.)
Design also does not exist ( as in PC), not just the words but the CONCEPT..
We get around the problem defining at the beginning of the publications what
we mean by the word. The meaning here is much more limited, so we expand on
it...