permaculture - re: Deer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: bestworms@usa.net <bestworms@usa.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Deer
  • Date: 17 Jun 2001 07:41:26 MDT

Although I've had all sorts of fascinating interactions with deer, I'm
currently using a very simple protection measure for trees:

individual circular fencing around each tree. This allows all animals complete
freedom to roam the small orchard with zero access for deer grazing young
trees. I'm using 5 or six foot wire mesh, which opens for easy access to
trees, and is stiff enough so that one post will easily hold in in place on
unlevel ground. I make them big enough to expand the fenced circle as the tree
grows, until trees are higher than the deer reach.

Since some trees also benefit from frost protection here in winter, these
fenced circles provide such a framework. The fencing can also be reused for
the next young orchards to be planted.

good luck and good eating,
Akiva

  • Deer, Jeffrey Newman, 06/13/2001