permaculture - Re: Pheasants and Guinea Fowl

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pheasants and Guinea Fowl
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:33:29 +0200

the following is experienced info gathered in west australia, manjimup
county:

guinea fowl (i had a flock of 18) are great in combating grasshoppers. they
move across the paddies in war formation, each zigzaging along with
incredible speed, catching one after the other, with a wave of fleeing
hoppers in front of them.

they are a noisy crowd, making a big and loud fuss about most everything.
their shrill sounds are not for everybodys liking.

when i received the keets (by mailorder, i believe, dont remember clearly),
they were a mere 3 or 4 inches, but all of them made it for the very first
night up onto the free hanging fluorescent light of the workshop i used as a
welcome pen. a few weeks later they started perching high up on a karri
tree.

they are at their best when left to freely roam - they did a daily tour,
roughly a circle of about 1 mile in diameter. all the hens tend to lay into
one and the same secret nest, which is hard to find. when i did find it, it
was full with a heap of roughly a hundred eggs. 1 bird watched me from afar
as i peeped under the very bush, and they didnt add a single egg from there
on, even though i didnt remove one. i never found their new nest, must have
been far out i the bush somewhere one their tour. the eggs are a little
slimmer and more pointed than chicken eggs, and very tasty. the meat of the
young birds is very tender and delicious.

have fun with your birds, which i think are outstandingly beautiful with
their feathers, upright habit, sharp peak and brightly coloured wattles.

georg