permaculture - Why travel?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Why travel?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 01 12:41:16 -0700

>>We see permaculture design course graduates sent overseas but few
>>engaging in work in their own country. It is, after all, still development
>>work when done in their own country and has analogous aims to that done
>>overseas.
I'd estimate that less than ten percent of the design course participants
I've had in my courses over the past fourteen years have gone to work out of
the country (USA) A higher percentage have traveled, but not spent extensive
time away working. I make a point of mentioning at least once during a course
that I am commited to working in my homeland rather than as a missionary. I
like the rules that Bill gave us for international aid work, among which
were:
1) live at the same level as those you're working with (a bloody great
challenge for most) if you can't, better aprender a "dormir en petate y comer
tortillas con sal" (learn to sleep on a rush mat & eat just tortillas with
salt, ie live like a campesino) Stories about peace corps folks with brand
new mountain bikes & motor scooters, gas lanterns, etc...
2) maintain contact; go back! repeatedly. You make the bonds, keep 'em up.
Fulfill your commitments and promises.
ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHERS??
>>My observation is that people complete their permaculture design
>>course, experience the 'permaculture eureka' effect, find no organisations
>>dynamic enough to attract their participation, then merge back into the
>>life they lived in their pre-permaculture design course days.
My observation is that the life most are living before their PDC is *already*
quite positive; in my eyes a major reason for the 2 week residential format
is to facilitate the formation of "support group" type bonds among
participants. By my observation, this is fairly successful. Also, I have
usually taught in situations where the convening site has continued convening
courses; over time, participants increasingly come from the local area, and
the social web is stronger.

And I'd like to ask whether the teaching style has been one of
information-loading and repeated examples of elegant solutions to specific
problems, or one of drawing out the knowlege of the participants, emphasizing
cooperation among participants, encouraging positive attitudes and new modes
of thought?

I have seen a phenomena common among commited Pc activists: travel and work
in other cultures leads to a positive change. Many of us have learned much
more than we have taught, and it was a crucial experience in our finding
permaculture. Go away to get a new set of eyes!

I'd like to emphasize that I think there's a preponderance of wannabees, rich
dilitantes, trustafarians and the ilk in high-profile in Pc; them on the
ground are too busy. The 'zines don't pay, the conferences have little $ to
pass out airfare to the needy to attend. Don't let it get you down, do
something positive to change it.

The one time I helped put a course together outside of my greater bio-region
(I've taught a bunch in Canada too, but that was also among Douglas Fir,
Madrone and Garry Oak, eh?) was in Belize; I made damn sure I got a compañero
Mexicano in on the teaching team. (José Caballero) I'd like to see much more
lateral international teaching and consulting, rather than "top-down"; ie,
from South to South or 3rd world to 3rd world. Ever since living in Quito
I've wanted to get a pack of Nepalis, Ecuatorianos, and Gikuyu from around
Mt. Kenya together on a piece of ground for a few weeks. These highlanders
would have alot to share! When a Canadian aid group got a bunch from Botswana
to Canada and was looking for Permaculture sites to tour them around, my
friends at Linnea Farm asked me what they, (a pack of hippies in the coastal
BC rainforest) ought to do for these folks from drylands tropical Africa !?!
I suggested they get them together with their friends from the nearby
Klahoose Reserve (the Klahoose are a Salish people) for a barbecue. (I
figured the Africans and native Canadians wouldn't be interested in tofu) I
heard there was ALOT of fine conversation that afternoon.

-Rick
"as a farmer, I'm too busy to travel slow and cheap, too poor to travel fast
and dear"

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

  • Why travel?, rick valley, 04/28/2001