permaculture - Re: Economics say all city dwellers must be vegan.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Yaya Balinci" <yaya@telus.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Economics say all city dwellers must be vegan.
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:30:55 -0800

> Michael Hollihn wrote in response:
> >>But the carrot is ours to do as we please? We own the carrot because it
> >>lacks something we lack? Now who is the righteous one? Fence it in, then
> >>before it can blossom its flower and sew its seed we can yank it out and
eat
> >>it dead?
>
> I was making an argument for the efficiency of plants over animals,
since
> food is what we're providing to those who can eat today and understand
> tomorrow, not the possible cruelty to either animals or plants.

Good points, but I still feel that it is not either, or if your system is
balanced. Both plants and animals can be used efficiently. But it is true
that most systems we look at are grossly inefficient due to the factory
models placed in to agricultural models.

Oh ya, and I
> am the righteous one, my friend, since I am willing to say these things in
> list of those who would say otherwise, and therefore I have a little
> character as a result.

You do have character. I respect your character. I am only sensitive to
people who divide this world into plants OR animals and do not consider the
balance of both.

And as for the carrot, its death comes on a cellular
> level, since the carrot can be pulled from the ground and, after being
> sliced in discs, used to propagate an infinite amount carrots(given time).
> So what, the carrot screams as it is pulled from the ground, it screams
> louder as it is cut, it sobs as you begin to propagate, it gets confused
as
> its multiple selves begin to grow, and then it looks in on its own
> multiplicity from a thousand angles with a bemused smirk?

As do the offspring of our animals. There is beauty in death of all
creatures if one comes from the heart with respect for life and its
diversity. I like your imagination Randy, very good.

And proper culture
> of this carrot and its siblings would allow more of their kind to exist
with
> less bare, unproductive earth.

Again you react to those who propagate bare and unproductive earth. Which is
a good point to raise. There are farms, however, with both animals and
plants that have no bare, unproductive earth and there is a feeling of BOTH
life and death in harmony.

I still like the idea of city folk having to become vegan. McDonalds has
them almost there with their TVP disguised burgers.

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and building
materials,
yaya@telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm