permaculture - Re: Permaculture & The Vegan way

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture & The Vegan way
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 01 13:37:55 +1100

The main thing that I find difficult with the philosophy of many vegans
(especially 'veganically-grown') is the absolute denial of animals in the
system - how can there be an ecosystem without animals? - it's simply the
other end of the feedlot extreme - one extreme breeds another.

Excluding animals from the system is anti-nature and anti-life.

I can't help but wonder if there is an underlying neurotic fear of death
that drives unnatural philosophies - I held some these ideals once and
found myself becoming a biggoted dietary aparteidist - I seriously
questioned my vego dogmas within the context of natural systems,
ecological balance and sustainability and found them seriously lacking.
After 17 years of vegetarianism (I did keep chickens & eat their eggs) I
am now a rounded omnivour though animal products would constitute only 5%
of my total diet. (70% of my diet is home grown - vegies, fruit, eggs and
the ocassional redundant male duck or chicken)

ultimately all things live by eating something else therefore all things
exist to be eaten - even plants will eat you in the end.....

a carrot screams when wrenched from mother earth, it's just that our ears
can't hear it

if all life, plant or animal, taken to sustain our own was taken with
respect we wouldn't have destructive agricultures - plant or animal - the
issues of veganism wouldn't exist

my animals live a happy and natural life and while doing so make a
valuable contribution to the fruit and veg producing systems on my farm,
saving a lot of energy & nutrient imports. we also enjoy each others
companionship.

Robyn

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au www.earthwise.org.au