permaculture - Re: question for waterproofing canvas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Xavier Dequaire <xavier@futurich.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: question for waterproofing canvas
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 12:22:57 +0100

check BIOFA in Germany, they have awide range of natural/plant based wood protection products,
I think the main oil comes from linseeds. (and hemp?)
They also have a citrus fruit based thinner (smells nicelly but still a solvent)

some kind of product may fit for fabrics, or at least a source of informations

linseed is highly flammable, but it is supposed to harden ( and get very hard giving good protection in paints f.ex.)

As far as I know you can buy uncooked or cooked linseed oil, but do not remember the specific use for each of those.
you can look at: How to make Linseed Oil  I have not checked it
http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/indproin.htm

peace

Xavier

Yaya Balinci wrote:

isn't parrafin from the oil industry and mining? i am interested in using a
mixture that i can theoretically produce from surface materials no mining
preferably.
also, if these are so flammable do i want them on a tent skin that may get a
spark from the wood stove?
what about beeswax, linseed oil, pine sap and maybe turpentine? what are the
reasons for the mix, what function does each perform?

thank you kindly for all ideas and insights.

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and materials,
I use tree-free paper and digital video documentation
yaya@telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm
Vancouver, BC, Canada
*better known as NW Coastal Turtle Island

> >>I would try heating/mixing: paraffin, beeswax, linseed oil (minimum
> >>amount necessary) , pine (any conifer) sap and applying that - could
> >>add a little turpentine to make it less viscous but smell/toxicity may
> >>make that prohibitive. Heat this mixture in a large container, immerse

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: xavier@futurich.com
Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq

--