permaculture - question for waterproofing canvas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Yaya Balinci" <yaya@telus.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: question for waterproofing canvas
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:44:24 -0800

I have been using double-boiled linseed oil from Recochem to treat the wood
in my yurt. I think i will try rolling it on to the hemp canvas for the
outer most layer to waterproof the canvas. I contacted recochem to see what
they use for drying agents and this is what he told me:

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

The drying agents are transition metal salts of Naphthenate.

Supposedly lead is used in some linseed oil as drying agents is this better
or worse?

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and materials,
I use tree-free paper and digital video documentation
yaya@telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm
Vancouver, BC, Canada
*better known as NW Coastal Turtle Island