permaculture - Re: Organic honeymoon period over????

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Yaya Balinci" <yaya@telus.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic honeymoon period over????
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:45:09 -0800

The real cost of food IS shocking if you are used to cruising the aisles of
a "super" market. Supermarkets were the beginning of discount chemical
produced foods. Anyone consuming from the 30's onwards has been
habituated/programmed to believe food should actually be that cheap. Not to
mention that some food is out of season and should not be eaten anyways
during that time of year. There is also the fact that since i have bought
organic food and taken control and responsibility of my health I have never
been to the doctor and I do not pay for medical insurance. That makes
organic food much cheaper if you take your medical bills into account for
eating non-organic foods. It actually is cheaper for me to support the local
organci food coop. Here in East Vancouver there is three local merchants
that sell organic foods on one corner! When I began eating organic food in
university it was for ethical reasons not because of my own health directly.
I lived below the poverty line and went to university. I still could afford
to eat organic foods 100% while living below the poverty line! I just
couldn't drink as much beer.

The organic movement has never really had a white wedding in this poor
excuse for a culture let alone a honeymoon!

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and materials,
I use tree-free paper and digital video documentation
yaya@telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm
Vancouver, BC, Canada
*better known as NW Coastal Turtle Island