permaculture - Re: (fwd) Re: Grey Water/Ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: Grey Water/Ponds
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:48:24 -0500

Frank,
Gabions in the higher parts of your hills and swales on the high edges of
your fields
with ponds, chinampas and wetlands in your more level areas should reduce
the
tendency of creeks to flood and erode. The design manual has pretty good
details.
Finding your keylines will help you place your earthworks appropriately.
Chinampas add
a lot of edge to wetland areas and will increase habitat. Gabions,
essentially leaky
dams made of whatever is handy, increase the amount of water infiltrated for
later
emergence as springs. Lay it out well and get good local advice. Before you
get a
bulldozer or backhoe on your land, plan to give all your attention to
monitoring the
work. Those big machines can do a lot of work, or damage, fast. Compute the
volume of
flow in your catchment if possible beforehand. A neclace of ponds could be
just the
ticket for your design. Catch it as high as possible. If your hills have a
saddle in
them, that's one of the best and highest places for a pond.
Keith