permaculture - Re: Frank and keylines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Frank and keylines
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:05:10 -0800

Aloha,

This page on the Keyline site has a lot of textual explanation of keyline
concepts and methods:

http://www.keyline.com.au/detail01.htm

Unfortunately no graphics, but I find that if I have a topo map handy
and/or do some sketching following the scenarios in the text, it comes
clear...

One way I have heard "key point" clarified is as "the point where the slope
changes from concave to convex," which seems to fit with what the keyline
site says (and is relatively easy to spot visually). The (local) key line
is then the contour line which passes through the key point.

If your forest is healthy, it will do about the best job of retaining and
slowly releasing/cycling water that can be done; maybe focus on your
unforested land first if you want to try keyline stuff?

John Schinnerer
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Human Habitat Design
johns@eco-living.net