permaculture - Intentional Communities Gathering in Australia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mitra <mitra@earth.path.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Intentional Communities Gathering in Australia
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:27:26 +1000

There is a gathering of intentional communities in Australia happening 22-26 November at Crystal Waters. I went to the last gathering, a couple of years ago in Dharmananda, and it was both fun and interesting to share experiences with people from other communities.

Its immediately preeceding the eco-village workshop I saw advertised here recently.

There flyer follows - you can contact them directly on the email addresses towards the bottom.

- Mitra

COMMUNITIES CONFERENCE 2000
Crystal Waters Permaculture Village
Queensland Australia
November 22 -26, 2000

The number of people living in, and seeking to create, intentional community is continuing to grow. Communities attract a broad cross-section of people who wish to live in touch with the natural world, in close and supportive relationships with others. Through this people are enabled to find greater levels local self-determination and opportunities for a spiritual life.

It is estimated that over lo,ooo Australians live in intentional communities throughout the country in both urban and rural areas. These communities are diverse varying considerably in size, focus, structure and level of establishment. There is much we can learn from each other and also much we con offer others looking for a positive and vibrant way of life and a sustainable future,

Many people will attend the Conference and Festival from throughout Australia and. New Zealand - and perhaps beyond.

The gathering will be a participatory event with great opportunities for discussion, exchange of experience and ideas, and the developing of new strategies to deal with issues we face living in community.

The key themes of the conference will beŠ.
Community Culture
Eco-Community And Design
Community Economics

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
and Workshop Facilitators
Jill Jordan, Max Lindegger
Rob Doolan, Simon Clough, Robina McCurdy,
Robin Clayficid, Morag Gamble, Barb Knudsen, plus MORE-

Creating Vibrant Culture is the theme for the third Communities Conference. We will explore community aliveness in every way - culturally, ecologically and economically.

The Conference will bring together many community members from around Australia and New Zealand to share experiences and find new ways forward,

Simultaneously, the inaugural Blooming Arts Festival will be held - in event which will be integrated into the conference providing opportunities for us to explore our creativity together through performance, movement, music, crafts and visual art.

For 5 days, we will live together as a community, be creative, discuss and workshop many key community issues, and share in the abundance of knowledge and skills that others have gained from living in communities throughout this part of the world.

COMMUNITIES CONFERENCE TALKS AND WORKSHOPS
Each day, the schedule will allow for a balance organised forums and workshop, self-organised group discussions or workshops, arts workshops, shared food preparation, play and relaxation.

Proposed outline of the daysŠ.

NOV 22 - Welcome and Set-up

NOV 23 - Community Culture
Heart Politics - Simon Clough
Working with Groups - Jill Jordan
Effective Communication in Grassroots Organisations
Dynamic Groups- Robin Clayfield
Contact Improvisation - Zjamal Xanitha

NOV 24- Eco-community and Design
What Makes an Eco-community - Max Lindegger
Rural Resettlement 0ptions - Rob Doolan
Participatory Processes for Effective Community Design - Robina McCurdy
Creating Ecologically Responsible Communities in the City- Morag Gamble

Nov 25 - Community Economics
Creating Livelihoods in Community - Panel with Barb Knudsen
The RECHARCE process - Robin Clayfield

NOV 26 - The whole picture
Focus Groups and Overview Forum
Wrap up and Celebration Performance

The Venue - Crystal Waters Permaculture Village
Crystal Waters is the first village in the world to be consciously designed using the principles of Permaculture. It is a human-scale and environmentally responsible village. Established only 12 years ago, it has received much acclaim - a United Nations World Habitat Award in 1995 for its "pioneering work in demonstrating new ways of low impact, sustainable living", and a listing on the UN Rest Practices Database. Crystal Waters, home to 200 people is located 100 kms north of subtropical Brisbane, Australia, and is surrounded by natural forests and clear streams.

Conference Costs
$250 for adults
$150 for young adults 13-21 years
$60 for children aged 5-13
free for child under 5

This includes....
… full participation in the Communities Conference 2000 workshop,
… 2 tickets to Blooming Arts Festival,
… a guided tour of Crystal Waters, and
… all meals (vegetarian).
Accommodation
$7/tent site ($8 if 2 or more people in a tent)
$14 for a bed in the bunkhouse cabin/homestay
Private cabins available from $20 per person/per night

Registration
Please send a deposit of $50/person with your registration form before October 31.
Once we have received your registration, we will forward to you further information about what to bring and how to get here.

Name
Address
Phone
Fax
Email
Community
Age (if under 21)
I enclose a cheque/money order of $
I prefer to:
q Bring my own tent/van $7 night
q Stay in the bunkhouse $14/night
q Homestay $14/night
q Other accommodation motel/B&B - please send me more information about options in the area.

Please send form with deposit toŠ.
Communities Conference 2000
37 Crystal Waters
MS16 Maleny
Qld 4552

For more information, please contact us:
Barb Knudsen
ph: 0754 944 887
beelzebarb@hotkey.net.au

Morag Gamble
ph/fax: 0754 944 833
morag@permaculture.au.com

http://www.ecovillages.org/australia/crystalwaters/comconf2000/index.html

  • Intentional Communities Gathering in Australia, Mitra, 10/25/2000