permaculture - Re: regarding cultivated olives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Peter Wibberley" <petew@twpo.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: regarding cultivated olives
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:57:35 +0930

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susanne Velander" <susanne.velander@mp.se>
To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 1:55 AM
Subject: regarding cultivated olives

> Hello
> as wild olives were mentioned I wonder if you can help me with some
> information regarding cultivated olives? I have a friend who buys
> non-organic olive-oil assuming that there is no difference between
> organic and "common" ways to grow olives. Can someone help me with some
> information? Us here in the north, we don't know much about olive-growing

Hi Susanne and everyone
I'm not an expert on Olives (or anything else) but it may be that the non
organic label refers to the way the oil is processed rather than the growing
method.

Caustic Soda is commonly used to process Olives... whether this is for table
olives or oil types I don't know... but I understand this is the "modern"
way of processing olives ???

there endeth my olive knowledge...

Pete

  • Re: regarding cultivated olives, Peter Wibberley, 10/18/2000