permaculture - Re: Permaculture pattern languages

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <johns@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture pattern languages
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:44:36 -0700

Aloha,

There's the nucleus of one or more "formalizable" patterns in here...

> I am working with patterns of indicator plants (weeds/herbs) and how I
can
> use them for the initial work of reafforestation and agroforestry,
> particularly in abandoned pastures. Instead of working with static
patterns
> of species to be planted on a grid system, I use the same species
selection
> and plant them according to the indicator species and their relative
> percentages in the given area. ...

Patterns in a pattern language are at their best when they specify
relationships, as you do above, leaving the ultimate particulars to be
determined by the designer(s) in context. Off the top of my head, very
roughly, I can see some possible interrelated patterns such as:

Indicator species
(would describe indicator species by relation to their context/surrounding
patterns)

Reforestation species selections
(would describe reforestation species selections by relation to each other
and their context/surrounding patterns)

Indicator species in reforestation (or "in deforested areas"...?)
(would specify relationships/patterns found via indicator species in
deforested areas)

Reforestation species location relative to Indicator species
(would describe relations like you do above, "...plant reforestation
species according to indicator species and their relative percentages in
the given area, etc. etc....")

Reforestation species and invasive exotics
(would describe relations like you do in "...basically usefull where there
are not heavy infestations of exotic weeds...")

John Schinnerer
Cultural & Ecological Designing
Human Habitat Design
john@eco-living.net