permaculture - Re: Native vs non-native.... all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Native vs non-native.... all theory thread DESIGN PRINCIPLES
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:52:00 -0400

Ava Devenport wrote:
> On 08/29/00, "mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>" wrote:
> Toby:
> > > Most of this planet has been manipulated by
> > > humans, and that needs to be kept in mind when we dream of "restoring" a
> > > former flora.

> Mangodance:
> > I'm not sure why you think we should keep
> > in mind human manipulation when thinking about "restoration".
> > Why would this be appropriate?
>
> Why would this NOT be appropriate? Most restoration projects take place
> because of human interaction and manipulation, it would most definitely be
> appropriate to seek out solutions to problems that we have created keeping
> in mind what/why/how we created the problem in the first place. Should we
> not learn from past mistakes?

I think we're speaking of the same process. Toby's quote was
part of a larger thought. It had to do more with whether we
restore to a pre-existing condition (which is redundant) or use
other tools (plants) to bring about a desired change in an area.

> Please notice I use 'restoration', not rehab, as you first need to restore
> something of the original which you took away before the whole can be
> rehabed. You can't rehab a wetland that's been tiled, drained and
> cultivated as there is nothing left to rehab. You must purchase first some
> of the wetland and prarie plants to begin restoration, to jump start the
> marsh, to hold the water, to rebuild the habitat, to bring back the
> wildlife, and on and on....

One may rehab without restoration. I can turn that prior
converted land into a pond and that is an example of
rehabilitation. Restoration involves more holistic creation of
structure and function to an original state. They're similar.
The last part of the snippet above speaks to restoration but
actual resto is more involved. In the bulk of similar work, true
restoration is the minority, rehab the majority, of what actually
gets done.
--
Please note and remove the spamblock "faux." from my reply-to
address above in order to send a reply. I use it to block some