permaculture - Re: Polyculture / Castor

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Myk Rushton" <permaculture@wave.co.nz>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Polyculture / Castor
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:31:40 +1200

Greetings

I think Marsha has now been chastised enough for what appears to have
been an honest mistake.

Marsha, Your piece although very large is interesting and I find it
difficult to believe that having read it that any resemblance to
Permaculture is coincidental.

I think your strategy of encouraging farmers to experiment with 1Ha of
land using your techniques is an excellent idea - giving the farmers
something which they can compare for themselves whilst continuing to
practice modern pharming techniques and providing you with more
research information. The projected second year autonomy for the
farmer must also be a great incentive to them?

How are the yields harvested? Is this kind of large scale polyculture
farming only possible where there is a lot of available labour?

What other types of water retention to you use? Swales, passive
swales, cisterns, berms...?

Thanks for the interesting insight into your work - despite it size!
:)